Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Veggies!

One of the things about this autoimmune diet I've been eating from is that you wind up eating a lot of fruits and veggies.  Which definitely is not a bad thing, but sometimes our local grocery store has some not-great produce.  It's usually okay for things like winter squash, but there have been times when I've gotten baby spinach and asparagus home and it's already unusable after 24 hours.  (Yes, I know we are kind of at the end of a delivery route here, but seriously... if I'm going to pay for asparagus, I'd like to be able to eat it before it rots, and I don't think 24 hours is excessive.)

Anyway, one of my docs recommended Skarsgard Farms' Harvest Boxes.  Based out of ABQ, they offer a weekly (or biweekly or monthly - you pick the delivery times) box of veggies and fruits from local producers.  I really liked the concept that you could pick and choose what went into your box.  A few days before your delivery day, you can pop onto their website and customize what you get.  So for instance, neither D nor I love beets, so while that was on the list for this week, I substituted out a butternut squash, which I eat a ton of these days.

Our first box arrived yesterday and I was really delighted with the produce.


Our small box contained:
  • 1 lb of strawberries (which are so good, they are like eating candy!)
  • 2 garlic bulbs
  • 4 yellow peppers
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 2 lb of new potatoes
  • 1 lb of mixed salad greens
  • 1 honeydew melon
  • 2 avacados 
  • 1 butternut squash
We ate some of the salad greens and the avacados with dinner last night, as well as the strawberries.  Everything is nice and fresh, good quality, and suits my weekly menu plan perfectly.  You can also do add-on orders of things like cheese and eggs, pizza dough and salad dressings, and meats.  

We're going to try a few more boxes, but I like having so many nice veggies arrive at the door.  I do have to supplement a few fruits for my a.m. smoothies and a few other odds and ends, but otherwise, we can happily have veggies for lunch and dinner available with what arrived in our box yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. A perfect solution and how wonderful you have local produce, beautiful local produce readily available. It's great they allow customization. That way you have a better chance of eating it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to be able to customize and support local farmers! I am on a similar diet I suspect though mine is not designated as AI. I have a great go to butternut squash soup if you'd like the recipe. I made some today and spilled 2 cups of it between the stove and counter while pouring into storage containers. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

WIPocalypse October 2018 Check-In

I worked on a bunch of things this month as I've settled back into a 5-day rotation on my projects, which seems to be working pretty wel...